Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Only

This past week I was in an intensive at Asbury that I would say could very well be my fav class Ive taken so far in seminary. It was "Family Development: Discipleship and the Home" - and wow...I've walked away a different person. I pray that the things I learned not only sparked an excitement of having my own family one day but that the seeds of discipleship and love will be sown in my heart and will continue to cultivate while the Lord prepares me for the amazing future he has set before me.

We talked about many things: birth order, intimacy, parents, adolescence, marriage, relationships, church, children's ministry, rules, homes, the trinity within a family - people shared real and raw things and it was such a blessing to be around such different walks of life. We ranged in age and our own experiences were different and I believe that helped me realize that not everyone experiences the same things - but we must realize that every decision made (by us or others) affects who we are. I thank God for his mercy, grace, and unconditional love. It amazes me to see how God has truly changed people's lives. Glory!

We talked about the creation story one day in class and really broke down chapters 1- 3. Something that really stirred my spirit was when we came to the passage Genesis 2:18.

"The Lord God said, "It is not good for man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." Genesis 2:18

Did you know that the word "alone" translated in the Greek text is kratos? This word means only.

Did you know that the word "alone" translated in the Hebrew text is echad? This word also means only or one.

How interesting. "It is not good for man to be only."

Perhaps this means that Adam wasn't lonely after all and that he wasn't implying that his relationship with God wasn't enough - but that he was unable to multiply and he needed someone else in order to do so. If you go back and read the creation story you are able to paint a picture of all God created - skies, waters, seas, creatures, plants, animals, stars - everything in multitude.

When you think you have everything figured out or that you are going to conquer the world by yourself - I encourage you to rethink your strategy. We cannot and will not advance the kingdom by ourselves. We must work together - alongside one another - in order to run the race and share the gospel with more and more people. I am so thankful to have been reminded of this.

May you bring glory to the kingdom with your brothers and sisters and may His kingdom be multipled!

1 comment: