Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Forgiveness

Forgive. Such a powerful word. And yet when expressed, something so peaceful. I cannot begin to put into words what this word means to me. As I close my eyes...flashbacks of all the hurt in my life come and go and then I picture Jesus sitting there...his heart busting out of his chest..holding all my pain, all my let downs, all the lies, all my tears in the palms of his hands.

I have always been blessed with a big heart. Since I was little I never left a room without telling my family and friends I loved them. I was the girl with 5397392 best friends..I could never choose just one. I never met a stranger. In fact, I always came home with a new best friend. I always had the hardest time choosing who to invite to my birthday parties because Momma would only allow me so many, I never wanted to hurt anyone or leave anyone out. Because of this, I can tell you I've been hurt once or twice. And as I grew older...the deepness of the cut began to change. But I have always managed to dust myself off and love them the same.

This summer I had the opportunity to forgive two major people in my life. One being my father. I always said I forgave him but I had never told him. Our pastor challenged us one day to tell the people we forgive them. He asked the question, "Have you truely told them? Did you know that you could be the reason that is keeping them from having a relationship with Christ? If someone of the flesh who they love more than life can't even forgive them..what makes you think they would accept forgiveness from a man they have not seen?" That hit me hard. I began to pray about it because this was something I wanted to be sure about and honest about. A few weeks went by and I called my dad. When I told him he busted into tears. I have never heard or seen my dad cry.

I have been praying that my dad would come to know Christ ever since I can remember. This summer my dad came to know Him. And I mean truely know Him. He now serves at church and LOVES it! I have never been more proud of him in my life.

Holding onto pain and hurt gets you nowhere in life. We are called to live a life of love. I can honestly say...truely forgiving my father has blessed my life beyond control. I challenge you to dig out those skeletons in your closet..get rid of them...and live a life of joy and love!

"There is coming a day when the power of love will overcome the love of power."

1 comment: